What’s a known sperm donor?
A known sperm donor is a donor who donates sperm with the objective of helping families who are not his sexual partners conceive and who wishes to be identified or be known to the child(ren) born using said donors sperm donations. While the known sperm donor is the biological father, AKA “Bio Dad” of all children created, he is not the intended legal father or guardian. Depending on which country, state, etc. you reside, he may or may not be eligible to seek parental rights and or be held responsible financially.
Why does someone become a known sperm donor?
The reasons why someone becomes a known sperm donor is personal. It could be all of some of the reasons below:
• Men like women, have a biological need to procreate.
• The majority of known sperm donors are motivated by the satisfaction they get by helping others.
• Often times, known sperm donors do not want to make our children a commodity and see themselves as an alternative to the cryobanks.
• Known sperm donors like the freedom to choose their recipients in the same way recipients want to choose their donors.
• Known sperm donors realize how much of a gift it is to know one’s biological origins and very much want to gift this knowledge.
• Known sperm donors understand the importance to some, to have the option of using the same known donor when having children.
• The journey with a known sperm donor is so much richer. Whereas buying from a cryobank can be experienced as just another purchase (think “vending machine”).